Thursday, January 31, 2008

Smalltalk

What is it with people and smalltalk? Maybe I'm just weird. I don't know, but sometimes I get introverted and I don't really feel like saying anything to anyone when I'm passing people in the hallway at work. It's not that I feel like being rude, I just get thrown off by people and I don't know what to say. Is that bad?

Well today, everyone is coming out of the woodworks wanting to talk talk talk. Ridiculous. I mean people are like getting in front of me, looking me in the eyes smiling, patting me on the back, asking me questions!! UUGGGHHH I look back at them dumbly but shyly and start to do that weirdo grin. You know the one where the person's head melts into their shoulders and they do that nervous laugh? Yeah, that's been me all day.

I think everyone secretly had a meeting about me and it went a little something like:

Coworker 1: So, Sweetpea's not a talker, huh
Coworker 2: Nah, Hey I got an idea, lets all talk to her.
Coworker 1: I don't know, she won't say anything back. Sounds boring.
Coworker 3: No, that's a great idea! She totally won't know what's coming!
Coworker 2: yeah, and she's be all paranoid and wierded out!!
Coworker 4: But what if she doesn't say anything?
Coworker 2: Just stare at her and smile!
Coworker 3: Plus she's got that ugly new haircut! Maybe she'll think that's why we've noticed her!
Coworker 1: Well, okay, I guess, but if she suddenly decides to go on a killing spree, I promise not to say "I told you so!"

Sometimes I just want to be left alone. Can you tell?

No comments: