Sunday, December 24, 2006

I am from the State of New York, the City of New York, the Borough of Brooklyn. Born and raised, which i am very proud of. I know no other way growing up and now that I looked back, I wouldn't trade it for the world. When I was a kid, I never thought about how anyone else lived if they werent surrounded by beautiful historic brownstones that told struggle stories of Dutch, Italian and West Indian immigrants living free in America. I couldn't fathom how growing up would be without the necessary oasis of Prospect Park, where it served as my jungle slash forest. I lived in that park! I knew it like the back of my hand.Ufortunately, so did the bums, the sex crazed teenagers and the pedofiles that used to (probably still do...) wave their winkies at people. That is sooooo not the point.

I loved my stoop, for all you other non-city people, that's the porch attached to an apartment building. I loved skylines... correction, I LOVE skylines and rooftops in New York. When I was in elementary school, all the way up to High School, I always had a seat by the window. I have had my fair share of being called on only to not remember the last 30 minutes of class due to staring lazily at rooftops. I loved walking down the street jumping past cracks on the sidewalk, to ensure my mom never fractured her vertebrae. I loved dodging through traffic just to cross the street and go to the corner store.

What im trying to say is New York is in me. No matter how many other contries i live in, or how long I reside in different states, Brooklyn will always be me. Even if I have lost the accent a little and I dont dress like a new yorker, when I tap into my memories, there's me living on Rogers avenue. Me on Eastern Parkway. Me on Flatbush. It is woven into my DNA, intertwined with my core, every fiber of my being. I am a product of BK. I may not be the typical NYer you meet, but that's okay because I know where I came from.

When I moved from New York to Jville during high school, i was so in love with new york that i had withdrawls for the next 9 years. I still do at times, long to just be surrounded by new york. I am sure people feel that way about where they spent their childhood. But New york is like no other place. I can't finish this entry. i found some pics of my old neighborhood, and i am back into the state of awe, so much love flowing.... GOD i love new york.

http://web.honorscollege.cuny.edu/student-projects/2005/neighborhoods/17/hist1.htm

No comments: